Ipas is a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending preventable deaths and disabilities from unintended pregnancies and unsafe abortion. Through local, national and global partnerships, Ipas works to ensure that women and girls can enhance their sexual and reproductive health via affordable, safe, respectful and comprehensive abortion and contraceptive care. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Senior Health Systems Advisor, to be located in Johannesburg, South Africa. The Senior Health Systems Advisor provides technical leadership to the South Africa country program focusing on health systems, community development and stigma reduction, midwifery, and comprehensive abortion care including contraception, health system provider/site performance, and Ipas training efforts. The position shares knowledge on technical innovation, lessons learned, and best practices across regional/country teams, technical staff and externally. The position works to guide and manage the team, ensuring implementation of quality health systems activities, aligned with Ipas’s organizational strategies, standards and goals.
· Designs, plans, organizes, implements, evaluates, and documents trainings and workshops on high-quality comprehensive abortion care and contraceptive services.
· Collaborates and builds partnerships with key implementing partners including various Department of Health units and staff, medical training institutions, medical associations, commodity and supply agencies, and non-governmental organizations.
· Contributes to the development, dissemination, and implementation of national standards and guidelines and training resources for abortion and contraceptive care.
· Ensures supportive supervision and program mentoring to program sites and providers in accordance with organizational guidelines and standard operating procedures.
· Supports improvements in service organization, infrastructure, and processes to optimize the quality and effectiveness of safe abortion and contraceptive care.
· Provides technical input to link research program, development of regulations, approval and implementation of regulations, protocols, standards and guidelines related to the implementation of the comprehensive abortion care model.
· Prepares reports on training events and other program activities to document project progress.
· Monitors progress of health systems work, including analyzing service delivery data; identify issues and trends and work with partners to develop solutions to address challenges and improve service delivery.
· Identifies opportunities to document and share health systems technical innovation, lessons learned, and best practices from the South African context within Ipas and to external audiences.
· Oversees work of and provides supervision to select country office employees.
· Represents Ipas at local, provincial, national and at times international meetings as needed.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree in a Health Training or related field.
· 7-8+ years’ experience.
· Training, facilitation and mentoring experience.
· Ability to work in a diverse environment.
· Willingness to travel up to 50% and work additional hours when needed.
· Fluency in written and spoken English.
· 2 or more years of program management experience.
· Experience working in a clinical environment.
· Experience working in a non-profit organization.
· Fluency in written and spoken local languages as relevant.
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.