Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health. The Team Leader will provide inspirational, strategic, technical and managerial oversight of Family Planning by Choice (FPbC) in order to build a local ecosystem for family planning and safe abortion in defined regions, and change the way family planning and safe abortion programmes are designed and delivered for women and young girls. He/she will be accountable for the overall delivery of FPbC, leading the various partners’ implementing teams in Ethiopia. As the Team Leader, he/she will be the key focal point for project consortium partners, donors and other stakeholders. Working closely with Ipas Ethiopia senior management and administrative colleagues, and coordinating the inputs of a team of technical experts from Ipas and partners, s/he will ensure that project objectives, outcomes, and deliverables are met and that financial, operational, and reporting requirements are adhered to. The post holder will also support cross learning across the Ipas Ethiopia programme, including building relations with current and potential projects, key government stakeholders, in-country partners, and representing the country programme’s broader interests to develop new opportunities.
1. Provide overall strategic and technical leadership of the project.
• Provide high-level technical expertise and inspiration across the programme to guide effective implementation.
• Ensure that programme strategies and approaches are aligned with the best available local and/or international evidence and best practice.
• Ensure that the project complies DFID and FMoH implementation policies.
• Ensure that there is appropriate functioning governance of the programme.
• Identify, monitor and manage any risks to the programme’s results.
• Lead the technical planning, monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
• Quality control all programme’s technical outputs and deliverables, ensuring that these are produced on time and in line with programme’s objectives
2. Manage the project team to ensure the efficient and cost-effective delivery of a high-quality programme that produces its results.
• Oversee the development of a Programme Technical Assistance Plan that sets out responsibilities for the quality assurance of all aspects of the programme, using the FMoH Quality Assurance Guide.
• Lead regular management team meetings and project stakeholder meetings to ensure actions are followed up.
• Mentor, coach and support staff to ensure they are motivated and performing. Conduct regular appraisals of the team (annual appraisals and bi-annual reviews).
• Oversee local staff and hiring within delegated authorities.
• Ensure that robust systems are used for contracting, managing and ensuring the quality of deliverables from consultants and other subcontractors.
• Participate in Project Senior Management Team meetings and liaise regularly with the Country Director of Ipas Ethiopia.
3. Leading planning and budgeting of the programme and monitor performance against plans.
• Convene and lead annual planning/budgeting exercises to produce a detailed and costed work-plan for the following year, liaising with Ipas Ethiopia senior management, consortium partners, and other stakeholders as necessary; update regularly.
• Establish and oversee the implementation of systems for monitoring the implementation of plans to budget, lead corrective action where necessary.
4. Provide oversight of financial, due diligence, and security
• Manage the programme’s budget to ensure that the programme’s financial objectives are achieved.
• Approve expenses within financial authority and delegate authority as allowed.
• Ensure due diligence is performed on all recipients of the programme’s funds; staff, sub-contractors, and their sub-contractors, control and report on the use of all programme funds.
• Implement Ipas Ethiopia’s policies and guidelines on fraud, bribery and corruption involving programme funds and report any suspected cases immediately to the Director of Programmes.
• Ensure office and programme assets are secure and appropriately insured.
• Supervise the programme’s security focal point and ensure that all steps are taken to guarantee that staff, sub-contractors and visitors are safe.
5. Oversee relations government and in country partners
• Ensure the programme complements, works with and builds on existing initiatives.
• Provide strategic coordination across FMoH, RHBs, and stakeholder.
• Lead the regular contract management performance exercises as per funder requirements, working closely with the Ipas Ethiopia senior management team.
6. Represent the programme’s broader interest.
• Support learning and knowledge sharing across Ipas Ethiopia programmes, identifying opportunities for collaboration, sharing of resources, leveraging relationships, and raising awareness of Ipas Ethiopia’s and consortium partner’s experience and expertise.
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.