Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health.
This position can be 80% time/30 hours per week, or 100% time - both will full benefits.
The Senior Medical Advisor, Quality of Care is a subject matter expert who serves as a global technical leader, using clinical expertise and judgment on abortion and contraception to implement evidence-based clinical guidance for Ipas programs worldwide. This position is responsible for identifying, developing, compiling and disseminating evidence-based strategies and tools for the implementation and integration of Comprehensive Abortion Care (CAC) into health systems. This position collaborates with country teams and other unit staff to implement and adhere to clinical compliance policies and standards at Ipas to improve health outcomes for women and girls.
Responsibilities include reviewing and sharing Ipas clinical guidance, global results and trend analysis, gathering input and collaborating with country teams, and identifying and supporting the documentation of programmatic innovations and best practices to inform Ipas work organizationally as well as the larger reproductive health field.
In addition, the position provides technical, clinical guidance to country teams as needed and supports the design and implementation of quality programs, services. Develops training tools and job aids, as needed, for country programs and global use.
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE and LEADERSHIP
• Stays up to date with evidence and trends in the global sexual and reproductive health field, with emphasis in the latest clinical evidence regarding comprehensive abortion care, in support of organizational and country program work
• Reviews and synthesizes published evidence from the global reproductive health and quality of care fields to improve abortion-related health outcomes through Ipas country programs, in partnership with Ministries of Health
• Supports the implementation of clinical compliance policies and programmatic standards related to Quality of Care to improve health outcomes through Ipas interventions;
• Reviews and analyzes Ipas interventions in comprehensive reproductive health and contributes to the field through publications and external presentations
• Provides clinical and technical support in CAC through the development, implementation, evaluation, documentation and evaluation of country programs with a quality approach. Identifies gaps and works to build local capacity to implement quality programs
• Supports clinical quality and service delivery improvement, including supportive supervision and quality assurance in health systems by providing strategic vision, producing curricula and tools, coordinating with teams for field visits, promoting utilization of adverse events data and using the results of monitoring to improve programmatic work.
• Encourages local capacity to conduct medical workshops and monitoring under Ipas standards and clinical guidelines
• Coaches staff to interpret evidence and lead internal education events around clinical evidence and practice.
• Models adult learning techniques, and effective training approaches to enhance the technical capacity of Ipas Country Program staff, trainers, and clinical mentors
• Supports knowledge sharing and exchange of best practices to foster quality of care through technical networks, regional platforms and cross-country exchanges
• Provides strategic, need-based technical assistance to Ipas programs to design, implement and evaluate quality improvement programs; particularly in Africa. Promotes standards related to quality of care and; Identifies gaps and works to build local capacity to implement quality programs
• Supports documentation of Ipas interventions to reduce maternal mortality and morbidity, field innovations and evidence generation through implementation science
• Provides strategic technical input in proposal design and reports
• Nurtures collaborative professional networks with relevant global and regional organizations and stakeholders
• Represents Ipas at professional meetings and disseminates results of technical work in publications and presentations
• Demonstrates respect, effective communication and conflict resolution in working relationships with agency coworkers, external colleagues and customers
• Advanced degree in medicine or clinical practice (OBGYN/Physician, Medical practitioner, Nurse practitioner)
• 10 + years relevant experience;
• Demonstrated leadership, strategic planning and technical support skills in technical areas;
• Effective adult-learning training skills;
• Experience working in health systems in low resource settings
• Excellent communication and writing skills;
• International development experience and expertise;
• Cross-cultural communication skills;
• Facile with computers and technology;
• Ability to represent Ipas externally, including communications and negotiations with partners;
• Ability to travel 20%
• Experience working within health care systems in low resource settings; preferably within multiple settings internationally
• Experience providing abortion care; including at or after 13 weeks gestation
• Proven management and budgeting skills
• Demonstrated grant writing and reporting experience
• Additional language skills relevant to region of work (Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese)
• Excellent writing skills
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.