Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health.
The Senior Advisor I, Communications will support Ipas Africa Alliance in developing media and communication strategy for its various projects. The incumbent will be involved in writing reports, development of project briefs, review of documents for publication and offer general technical expertise in regard to communications and media. The Senior Advisor I, Communications, with direct authority of the Alliance Director or his/ she designate ensures publications/broadcasts of the essential information relating to Ipas work in the region. This will include documentation of case studies from the Alliance work and maintaining global Ipas brand through consistent visual and editorial messaging. This position maintains an awareness of opposition activities within the Alliance focus countries.
• Provide strategic and technical communications leadership to the Alliance focus country programs
• Ensure consistency of messages and a global one-voice-policy at all levels of the organization
• Prepare media briefs and serves as a liaison with media houses, journalists and other media personnel to sustain positive media engagement.
• Track media in collaboration with HQ-based press officer, for issues relevant to Ipas Africa Alliance sharing the same within the organization on a timely basis.
• Develop media and communication strategies for the organization, in collaboration with HQ-based press officer.
• Documentation of the success of the Alliance work including case studies, success stories and best practices.
• Support program teams in review of appropriate and relevant IEC materials for use by Alliance programs
• Work with unit heads to develop position papers, presentations and materials for presentation in international, regional and national conferences e.g. compendiums, best practices documents, research fact sheets and briefs.
• Develop and maintain relationships with county and national media contacts and drive positive media coverage on the Sexual, Reproductive Health and Rights through proactive and innovative approaches including press releases and creative media events.
• Working with Alliance Director and collaborating with the Communications Unit in NC, take leadership in the development and management of social media as well as Ipas website, Ipas Alliance e-newsletter, online campaign on SRHR, donor reports and video documentaries.
• Develop external communication to media in line with Ipas media communication policies
• Communicates with Policy and Advocacy Staff and supporting them to develop strategies for when and what to publish and how to respond to anti-choice activities.
• Provide communication technical support to Ipas Alliance sub-contracted partners in media relations and media strategies.
• Works with International NGOs to determine how best to relate with local media; creates access to trained journalists and gives feedback from journalists on how to make relationships with NGOs better
• Communicates with government officials to counter negative stories in the media and incorrect information by anti-choice groups/individuals; determines government positions/decisions on relevant matters and issues
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field with 9-10 years relevant experience or;
• Master’s degree in a related field with 7-8 years relevant experience
• Working knowledge of trending industry topics, events and media happenings
• Good editing, writing, communication and event management skills
• Ability to travel 50%
• Experience working in SRHR field
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.