Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health.
The Senior Technical Advisor, Community Engagement is a dedicated champion of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) with expertise in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community engagement strategies in low-resource settings globally.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Technical Advisor is to partner with country program subject matter experts in the Asia Region to advance community engagement strategies that contribute to the achievement of country-level strategic goals. In addition, the Senior Technical Advisor provides global-level analysis of research, monitoring, evaluation (RM&E) data and other project documentation in order to advance organization-wide understanding of the impact of community engagement strategies as well as continuous quality improvement of these strategies.
By drawing on their own content expertise and that of other colleagues across the organization, the Senior Technical Advisor, Community Engagement will also lead the development of standards, metrics, curricula and tools to support excellence in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of community-level social norm and stigma reduction strategies; strengthen the capacity of staff across the organization in key technical competency areas, and ensure the sharing and application of practice-based evidence across country programs and regions.
• In partnership with other technical staff and regional program support teams, collaborates with in-country technical counterparts as requested to support the design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of community-engagement strategies
• Maintains an up-to-date awareness of priorities and focal areas of country-level strategic plans and other technical and regional priorities in order to ensure the technical collaboration provided on community engagement strategies is synergistic and coherent with other programmatic and organizational strategies and priorities
• Maintains an up-to-date awareness of programmatic trends and literature in key technical areas and approaches which could include Social Norm and Behavior Change (SBC), Medical Abortion Self-Use, Abortion Stigma Reduction, mHealth Technologies.
• Guided by in-country expertise and existing evidence base, leads the development and dissemination of standards and metrics for promoting and assessing technical excellence in community engagement strategies and ensures evidence of impact is understood across the organization
• Analyzes aggregated global RM&E data and insights, validates analysis with in-country stakeholders, and translates findings into strategic recommendations and tools to support global strategy and project-level impact
• Ensures the documentation and dissemination of programmatic innovations, trends and lessons learned to inform Ipas’ work across countries and regions and the greater sexual and reproductive health and rights community
• Contributes strategic technical input into proposal design, donor reports and on internal working groups
• Advances organizational understanding and ability to apply an equity lens in community-engagement strategies to appropriately address root cause barriers to abortion and contraceptive access
• Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge & Experience
• Subject matter expertise in content area related to community engagement strategies as demonstrated by:
o Advanced degree in public health, international development, implementation science or other social sciences
o 10+ years of relevant full-time technical experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of community engagement strategies in low-resource settings
• Experience working in the Global South and across cultural contexts
• Participatory monitoring and evaluation (M&E) approaches and methodologies
• Qualitative and mix-method data analysis
• Provision of high-impact virtual and in-person technical collaboration
• Proposal development and donor reporting
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications and platforms; virtual meeting applications and platforms; familiarity with quantitative and qualitative data analysis software (such as Stata, SPSS, SAS for inferential statistics and NVivo, Atlas.ti or others for qualitative analysis); and other computer technology related skills
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Demonstrated success in translating and explaining research, monitoring and evaluation findings to a general non-research audience
• Demonstrated success in building rapport and trust with and among colleagues across various cultural backgrounds
• High level of competency in training and group facilitation based on adult learning principles and using participatory methodologies
• Ability to travel internationally up to 20%
Knowledge & Experience
• Experience implementing or supporting the implementation of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights programs or projects in Asia inclusive of youth SRHR programming
• Implementing and evaluating Social Norm and Behavior Change (SBC) and or stigma reduction strategies
• Demonstrated experience in the achievement of goals in global and matrixed organizational structures
• Fluency or proficiency in Bengali, Nepali or another language condusive to work with Ipas Asia country programs
• Instructional, curriculum and toolkit design
• High levels of emotional intelligence
• Demonstrated self-awareness and fluency in recognizing and addressing structural power dynamics around gender, sexuality, race/ethnicity/caste, class and other forms of social over- and under- advantaging
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.