Ipas works globally so that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights through enhanced access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care. We believe in a world where every woman and girl has the right and ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health.
The Chief of Development & External Relations (CDER) develops, directs, leads, and oversees the organization’s work on partnerships, development, and communications in conjunction with and in support of the CEO. The CDER serves as a member of the Executive Team. S/he monitors and analyzes strategic opportunities and threats and advises the CEO regarding Ipas positioning for increased external impact. The CDER provides leadership and vision in crafting and executing Ipas’s long- and short-range fundraising and communications initiatives in support of the organization’s mission and objectives while also serving Ipas’s country programs. The CDER maintains and develops strategic partnerships and external relationships to expand Ipas’s reach. The CDER represents Ipas externally with partners and donors.
As a member of the executive team:
• Represents the three functional areas (Development, Partnerships and Communications)
• Develops and manages a suitable organizational structure for the three functional areas
• Provides thought leadership in advancing Ipas’s position
• Engages with the Board of Directors in their support of Ipas’s fundraising, communications, and partnership goals
• Ensures strategic direction is understood by external stakeholders
Partnerships - Oversight and accountability for the department
• Assesses opportunities to extend Ipas’s reach among colleague organizations, networks, and associations; initiates contact and builds relationships
• Ensures Ipas’s work and reputation with partners and donors is maintained and positive
• Sets up a suitable public outreach in alignment with Ipas’s mission and goals
Development - Oversight and accountability for the department
• Assesses business and donor environment, identifies new opportunities for Ipas participation, and positions Ipas to be a recognized leader in its field
• Cultivates, solicits, and stewards active or prospective Ipas donors; creates fundraising strategies and directs implementation; writes or reviews requests for funds; and communicates with current and prospective donors
• Ensures donor/partner interests are represented in internal Ipas deliberations and ensures Ipas interests are represented in external deliberations
Communication - Oversight and accountability for the department
• Provides strategic input and vision to Ipas’s global communications strategy
• Represents Ipas at conferences and meetings; speaks publicly about Ipas’s mission; networks to strengthen funding opportunities
• Ensures that Ipas brand and communications initiatives maintain Ipas’s positive reputation with external stakeholders
• Performs other duties as assigned
Internal & External Customers / Suppliers as well as Third Parties
• Works with the CEO/President and Executive Team on organizational and donor strategies, as well as communications strategies and plans. These plans would be both at the organizational and individual level.
• Works with leaders of donor organizations on the funding priorities and Ipas’ related expertise, on specific requests for financial support, and on the progress and results of programs they fund
• Works with individual donors on specific requests for financial support, program progress, and Ipas program results.
• Works with the leaders of partner organizations on collaborative programming opportunities
• Works with media representatives and others in showcasing Ipas’s programs.
• Works with external stakeholders as needed.
• Master’s degree in public health, women’s studies, health communications, development, or related field
• 10+ years of overall relevant experience including experience leading a multi department or unit organization
• 5 years at the director level of an international non-profit organization, with overall responsibility for its fundraising program
• 5-8 years of fundraising experience including grant writing and grant management experience, individual fundraising
• 5 years of relevant communication experience to include serving as a spokesperson, developing communication strategies, social media expertise, or otherwise contributing to external outreach
• International experience
• Track record of proven and successful public speaking
• Exceptional communication skills
• Fluency in Spanish or French
• Experience living and working in the global south
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.