Ipas, a global, non-profit reproductive health organization that works with Ministries and partners to increase commitment and action to ensure women and girls’ ability to access and use high-quality, comprehensive abortion and contraceptive care. Currently, Ipas is mobilizing funds and building regional Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa capacity and are expanding our regional program and focus to Togo, Benin, Mali, Burkina Faso, Cote D’Ivoire, Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Niger. We are implementing a phased approach to build capacity in Francophone Africa to ensure that all future country programs in the region will receive efficient, administrative, human resource and high quality, technical support with local expertise, and French language ability.
To support this fast-growing region as well as future country teams, the Francophone Africa Program is seeking a Human Resources Manager to set up and lead the Human Resource component of the program. The Francophone Africa HR Manager is primarily responsible for supporting the Francophone Africa program in developing human resource policies, identifying staffing needs, supporting staff recruitment in multiple countries, guiding performance management, leadership and talent development approaches and security management. The HR Manager works with the senior team to develops, reviews and changes organizational and office policies as needed to work towards improving the organizational climate and in compliance with local laws, rules, and regulations and within Ipas minimum standard.
• Works closely with counterparts in French-speaking African country offices to lead and provide technical expertise and guidance in Human Resources
• Responsible for supporting all of Francophone Africa ’s country programs in meeting recruitment needs and supporting induction of selected individuals.
• Prepares annual staff and consultant contracts, tracking and managing renewals or terminations as may be necessary.
• Managing the HR and contractual aspects of consultants hired to provide services for the Francophone Africa program.
• Supports the development regional and country program-specific employee guidelines and handbooks.
• Supports the development and updating benefits packages and salary benchmarking across the region, based on local markets and international NGO norms
• Ensures all Francophone Africa region country programs comply with Ipas’ minimum Human Resources standards and adhere to local labor laws
• Collaborates with the Africa Regional HR Manager to share lessons/tools and establish synergies of approaches across the broader Africa region
• Supports local HR policies development, dissemination and interpretation
• Supports the regional and country programs with performance management process guidance
• Conduct employee satisfaction surveys, reports back on their outcomes, and works with the Director Francophone Africa and Country Directors and/or Leads in improving organizational climate.
• Coordinates with Head Office Global HR on human resources programs, trainings, and policies
• Collaborates with Finance Managers about monitoring standard operating procedures compliances and budget utilization
• Works with Program Managers on HR updates, adherence to office policies, and understanding office requirements
• Collaborates with country program staff about office requirements, including staff on-boarding where applicable
• Leads the assessments and monitoring of safety and security situations in Francophone Africa and supports local Security Focal Points to assess physical, procedural and travel security throughout the country programme and design risk mitigation strategies through consultations with selected INGOs; security forums, UN agencies; donors; national security and other relevant actors.
• Supports in-country security management structure development, identifying improvements, training requirements and enhance security governance.
• Performs other administrative duties as assigned
• Demonstrated commitment to Ipas mission, vision and values.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Social Sciences or related field
• 8 years’ experience in human resources, especially in a global/multi-country context
• Professional qualification in Human Resource Management
• Certifications related to International Human Resource
• Demonstrated professional-level oral and written fluency in French and additional English greatly valued
• Previous management experience
• Experience in security and personal safety management
• Experience with coaching and mentoring staff and performance management related to human resource processes
• Working knowledge of an array of African country labor laws and recruitment strategies in the assigned sub region
• Experience working in a global matrix organization
• Ability to travel 30%
• International NGO experience
• Working knowledge of HR policies and procedures
Ipas is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, genetic information, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.